Linus Torvalds interview on CNN

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri May 19 16:31:59 UTC 2006

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Madison Kelly wrote:
>> Jamon Camisso wrote:
>>> What are people's thoughts on open source vs. free software? Can such
>>> a distinction exist? Which of the two is the better term,
>>> ideologically and/or practically? Considering we all pretty much use
>>> both GNU and Linux, some credit deserves to be sent Stallman's way
>>> doesn't it? THen again, perhaps we wouldn't be using GNU were it not
>>> for Linux.
>>
>>  From a practical point of view, GPL'ed (and the like) software is
>> more welcoming of programmers, I think, because who wants to
>> contribute to a program where there work is taken and that's that? If
>> I am writing a program where I don't want or need any help then maybe
>> free software makes sense but even then... If I am going to contribute
>> to a pool of software, no matter how modestly, I would like to know
>> that others will be compelled (legally or philosophically) to do the
>> same if they benefit from my contribution.
>
> That's a good point. Essentially weeds out anyone who would take unfair
> advantage of altruism. Keeps everyone honest and gives credit where
> credit is due. Then again, I wouldn't want my name associated with the
> pieces of w2k source code that I've seen...
>
> Jamon

The quality of the code in question is a side issue, I think. I mean, I
released my first backup program under the GPL and now, looking back on
it, the code stinks. BUT. It is my humble contribution. If someone finds
any of it useful to them then it was at least okay and I want to make
sure that anyone who builds on it has to return the favour by releasing
what they have done. If, on the other hand, my code stinks too much then
ignore it and find "free" code released without my requirements that you
can take and build on (ie: *BSD).

Good or bad code, I think, a contributor to the pool of software would
rather choose a GPL-like license. Free as in beer software is a great
idea in practice, like communism, but not so great in practice. On the
other side though closed software has too many negative sides to be good
either. To me, the GPL (et. al.) is a great "middle ground".

Madison