[OT] audio connection help

Slack Rat slackrat-39ZsbGIQGT5GWvitb5QawA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 18 10:03:12 UTC 2006

"Sy Ali" <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'm hoping to stumble into a couple of people who know about audio.
>
> I'm not sure how to search for answers, since these are all shortforms
> for audio terms.. and are a quite annoying to search for / research.
>

> I have a bit of a mystery on my hands with my motherboard (ASUS K8N)
> audio connections vs my case (Antec Sonata) front-case connections.
>
> The motherboard has a block of 9 pins:
>
> 1 2 3 x 4
> 5 6 7 8 9
>
> 1 - agnd
> 2 +5VA
> 3 BLINE_OUT_R
> 4 BLINE_OUT_L
> 5 MIC2
> 6 MICPWR
> 7 Line out_R
> 8 NC
> 9 Line out_L
> x = not labelled/used.
>
> Most of that makes sense.  The case, however, has a bunch of single
> lines which are labelled thusly:
>
> FPOUT-R
> FPOUT-L
> MIC
> RET-R
> RET-L
> MIC BIAS
> MIC GND
>
> I don't know how these match up.  On top of that, there are seven
> lines for 9 items on the motherboard.  8 if I think that NC means "no
> connection".
>

> Ideas?

The MOBO has one ground, the case two - you can probably connect either
ground from case to mboard. Agnd = Audio ground, probably for both mic
(mono) and headphone (stereo).<br>+5VA is for filtered +5v for audio
circuits - you usually don't need to connect that.

Micpwr is for a mic that requires additional power - you don't need to
use that unless unless you have such a mike.

MOBO
====
AGND = Audio Ground
5VA = For Filtered 5V audio circuits - safe to Ignore??
BLINEOUT R = Rear Right Speaker
BLINEOUT L = Rear Left Speaker
MIC2 = Microphone input
MICPWR = Connect if Microphone requires additional Power
         Probably safe to ignore
LINEOUT L = Front Left Speaker
LINEOUT R = Front Right Speaker
NC = Not Connected

CASE
====
FPOUT R = Front Right Speaker
FPOUT L = Front Left Speaker
MIC = Mike Power pin
RETR = Rear Right Speaker
RETL = Rear Left Speaker
MIC BIAS = Mic Input
MICGND = Mike Ground

Ignoring MOBO pins 5VA plus NC leaves you 7 Pins

SUGGEST
=======
AGGND -> MICGND
5VA --- NC