faster boot -- radical solutions?

Jason Spiro jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 18 05:04:50 UTC 2006

On 5/15/06, Ivan Avery Frey <ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Wouldn't a laptop and suspend to memory be better?

Yes. On both my laptop and my desktop machine, with kernel 2.6.15,
suspend to disk and suspend to RAM both work fine. They did not work
in kernel 2.6.8. Both machines use Debian etch, and the stock Debian
kernel, downloaded and installed via apt-get.

It's a great time savings, as not only do my machines boot up far
faster, I don't have to reload Emacs + 4 files for a project I'm
working on, konqueror, konsole + screen + 5 shells, etc. - all the
things I keep open all the time. They are reloaded for me, with the
text insertion point in exactly the place I left it in in the Emacsen.

It's great.

Jason