Sound on sarge

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 17 12:52:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:58:42PM -0400, Paul King wrote:
> I have a feeling I may have broken something. I have been away from Debian for
> over a year, and now that I am back, I see a marked improvement in
> configurability (this time, I was happy with it after only two tries).
>
> I was trying to configure the sound, and found in the documentation that I have
> to add privelaged users to an audio group if I want them to use sound. FIne, but
> then I found tha the permissions on /dev/dsp was rw-rw----. I had to change that,
> so I did a "chmod 4666" (I now think that setting the SUID bit was too generous),
> and the sound worked during that same login.

They are supposed to be rw-rw---- since they belong to group audio.
Simply do: adduser username audio, for any user that should have sound
access.  Debian didn't set the permissions the way they were just
because they thought it would be fun to make life difficult for users.

> WHen I logged off, then logged back in again, the sound was gone, and seemingly
> nothing would bring it back. I was getting an error message about a missing
> library (can't recall exactly which one) with a .so.2 extension, but found the
> same library name under /usr/lib/xmms/Input with just a .so extension. ALso, xmms
> now freezes when attempting to press the "play" button.
>
> Should I yank out xmms and reinstall?

Don't know.  Does alsamixer work?  Is one of the stupid sound servers
(artsd and esd) running?

Len Sorensen