As of today, free skype out to Canada & US

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 17 06:04:33 UTC 2006

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| At least until skype has killed all competitors.

Right.  Skype uses proprietary protocols as I understand it.

It is much better for the consumer if open standards win.  Like SIP.
Or IAX (not as widely adopted, but sufficiently open, I think).

Most VoIP companies use SIP.  But some want to capture their
customers.  Vonnage has tie-ins that use locked hardware -- the only
kind you can get in mass-market stores.  I don't know what Google is
doing.

I've some experience with untied SIP.  Not too expensive and much
healthier.  (I use Unlimitel.ca's a la carte products.)