IBM on a downward spiral?

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 16 19:13:34 UTC 2006

>  I also can't help but think about how IBM wants Linux to succeed, even if it is only to resurrect their lagging platforms or to reduce their dependence on Microsoft.

I'm not privy to any secret strategies, but it makes a lot of sense.
Before Linux, IBM was pushing Java heavily as a method to create
applications which can run across the different platforms.
Strategically, multiple disparate incompatible platforms is bad.
Linux delivers that kind of cross-platform development and attracts
developer interest much better than Java ever did.

So I don't think it is specifically to resurrect lagging platforms,
but to apply proven technology to a new generation of developers,
without which, they'd have to throw out the old stuff and rebuild.

To top it off, when dealing with virtualized systems, in a weird
literal way, Linux becomes a virtual machine.

-Mike