Census 2006 -- Linux is OK after all

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 16 01:32:05 UTC 2006

On 5/14/06, Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> What I was thinking was, how about a standard 'note' or 'letter of
> complaint' for such cases. Arguing the same issue over and over again is
> getting old. The letter could be put on a website and anyone needing it
> would download it, add his or her comments, sign it, and forward it to
> whomever it may concern. The letter should be *very* short, perhaps
> containing a link to an online page describing the problem (in general)
> in more words (but still very few, less than two pages).

It seems to me that there could be some value in doing this in a
further sophisticated fashion so as to both make this more clearly
individalized, as well as to provide a way of reporting when it works
out, and when it doesn't.

After all, this is but one "campaign;" there are very many instances
of organizations making this sort of mistake.

If you head over to <http://brokenwebappsforlinux.info/>, and fill in
some information as to where it broke, this could allow...

- Finding how others have tried to work around the given issue
- Discovering how many others have reported the same issue, and
perhaps *somewhat* unifying the responses so that there is some
consistency as to what problem is reported
- Providing a list of "Kudos" where there can be a list of cases where
(like with the census) lobbying went somewhere, in order to praise
those that listen, and to demonstrate that it happens
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.