faster boot -- radical solutions?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 15 14:46:51 UTC 2006

Ho folks,

 some time ago I remember seeing a story about a Japanese computer scientist
who had gotten linux boot times down to somehting very short -- 10 or 20
seconds I think, on a medium-range machine.  So today I was trying to ifnd
that article again, and couldn'treally; however I did noticel ots of new
initiativesi n this direction, e.g.:

accelerated knoppix:
http://www.alpha.co.jp/ac-knoppix/index_en.html

initng:
http://www.initng.org/

runit:
http://smarden.org/runit/

apple's launchd:
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/launchd.html

sun's smf:
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/smf/

fedor'as "newinit" project:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit

many of these projects involve abondoning or markedly modifying the sysvinit
procedure (nor relevant to slackware folks I know).  Has anyone tried any o
them out with linux, esp a debian-based distro?  I'd be interested to know
what you thought.  Also if anyone remembers this Japanese technology I heard
about a while back (maybe it was actually just accelerated knoppix?) I'd
like a reminder on that as well.

thanks,

matt

Matt Price	    matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094