NIS Authentication/Adding user question

Michael Yang lr1003-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 15 01:08:44 UTC 2006

Thank you Chris and Ansar for your kind reply.

  - Chris:
  I used addusr and thought NIS would add new entries to its database, I guess it is not the case. Could you point out how I should create a new user that it shows in /var/yp/master.passwd?

  - Ansar:
  thank you for your suggestion. I will consider it for the new server i am building. Btw, do you have any good resources/references regarding ldap to recommend?

  Good night all,

  Michael

"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
  On Sun, 14 May 2006, Michael Yang wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> I am new to a lab and now trying to add an new user onto the lab
> network which has Linux workstations and a Freebsd server. All
> user's home directories are shared on the Freebsd server and the
> server hold all user account information using NIS/NFS.
>
> I have added a new user to the server, and run 'make' under /var/yp
> afterwards, I still not able to logon from the workstatins with the
> new account i created on the server, and I do not see the new
> account info shows in /var/yp/master.passwd file.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Am I missing anything steps in the process of adding users
>
> 2. How long will it take to propogate the new account settings

How are you adding the user? If you are using adduser, that will
just create an entry in the local password file.

To create a new NIS user, the information goes into
/var/yp/master.passwd, and running make builds the database using
the information in that file.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson