NIS Authentication/Adding user question

Michael Yang lr1003-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 14 13:39:39 UTC 2006

Hello All,

  I am new to a lab and now trying to add an new user onto the lab network which has Linux workstations and a Freebsd server. All user's home directories are shared on the Freebsd server and the server hold all user account information using NIS/NFS.

  I have added a new user to the server, and run 'make' under /var/yp afterwards, I still not able to logon from the workstatins with the new account i created on the server, and I do not see the new account info shows in /var/yp/master.passwd file.

  My questions are:

  1. Am I missing anything steps in the process of adding users

  2. How long will it take to propogate the new account settings

  Thank you in advance for your response.

  Regards,

  Michael