Census 2006 -- Linux is OK after all

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun May 14 12:18:41 UTC 2006

Peter wrote:

> On Sat, 13 May 2006, James Knott wrote:
>
>> Alex Beamish wrote:
>>> Ha!

>>> for Linux. This change takes effect May 13th, 2006."
>>>
>>>   http://www22.statcan.ca/ccr02/ccr02_003_e.htm
>>>
>>> This seems to support the hypothesis that barring Linux browsers from
>>> taking the census was a bad decision -- or at least, not one based on
>>> reality. That's pretty cool.
>>
>> It appears complaining may have help.  When I called for support and
>> complained Linux wasn't supported, I was told a note would be passed on
>> to appropriate people.
>
> This is nice. I did not expect such a nice reaction. There is hope!
>
> What I was thinking was, how about a standard 'note' or 'letter of
> complaint' for such cases. Arguing the same issue over and over again is
> getting old. The letter could be put on a website and anyone needing it
> would download it, add his or her comments, sign it, and forward it to
> whomever it may concern. The letter should be *very* short, perhaps
> containing a link to an online page describing the problem (in general)
> in more words (but still very few, less than two pages).

On problem with such notes is they look like they're organized by
someone, rather than being grassroots.  There was one such incident,
where several people wrote in to oppose something that would impact
Microsoft business.  However virtually every letter (including some
apparently written by dead people) had the same text.  It was later
shown to be organinzed by MS.  That sort of thing hurts your cause far
more than it helps.