Debian/Ubuntu and HP LaserJet 1320 problem

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 11 20:52:16 UTC 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 17:35, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   At work I have Debian 3.1 Stable and another guy here has Ubuntu Dapper
> Drake Beta and we both have the same problem. The office has an HP
> LaserJet 1320 printer with one of those small parallel port to network
> adapters. We can both print fine in the end, *but*, we both have a
> problem that when we send a job to the printer, it starts blinking the
> orange light. Once we walk over and press the green (main) button it
> prints fine. If we sent two or more jobs at a time we'll have to press
> the button before each job.
>
>   Needless to say, this is a touch annoying.
>
>   The oddest part is that until recently the other guy had an older
> Mandrake (9.1?) and it didn't do this. When he printed the job would
> start right away. So I know that it isn't a problem with Linux per-se.
> That said though, google didn't yield any clues (that I could find). So
> any help would be much appreciated!
>
> grr, printers!
>
> Madison

From linuxprinting.org:
http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1320

Under the user notes section I found this:

--snip--

- Using HP_LaserJet_1320_Series.ppd I get a blinky yellow warning light when I
turn on duplex printing in the cups admin GUI.  To reset, open and close the
front panel.  With duplex off, seems okay.  How do you get duplex working?
- (update) turning on draft and it prints duplex.  I think the copier paper
I'm
using is the issue.

I have setup cups to have both a duplex and a non-duplex printer. But the
duplex printer is not printing duplex, even if I use   lpr -P Duplex  fil.ps

-I can confirm that duplex only works in draft mode. (regardless of the paper)

--snip--

And are you using the new  HPLIP drivers from http://hpinkjet.sf.net/ or are
you running the older drivers? You have the choice between using the new and
old drivers on Ubuntu.

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca
On-Site Computer Services - Available 24/7