How do I use rsync to update a Debian distro?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 10 15:48:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 06:39:08AM -0400, Paul King wrote:
> I just downloaded an ISO which the jigdo-lite script says has 285
> missing files. I re-did the download to recover these files (as the
> script suggested I do) and saw that nearly all of them were not found on
> the remote server. Jigdo appears to suggest that if this happens, it
> would mean that these files would have been updated since the local file
> list was downloaded, and suggests that I use rsync.

Also make sure your jigdo and template files are current.  If they are
from an older version, then the files that changed would be missing.  I
have forgotten to download new files before when I had interrupted a
jigdo download partway through and went to continue it later.

> Trouble is, I haven't used rsync before, and would like to know how one
> uses it to update a hypothetical ISO file such as
> "bad_jigdo_download.iso.tmp" from a server, say:
> "ftp://ftp.foo.debian.org/debian" - and can I use just any server, or
> should I use the same one I used for jigdo?

No to do an rsync update to complete an image you would have to find a
mirror that has the cdimage of the same version as you and then ask
rsync to retrive that onto your existing image (I recomend making a
backup of the image first).

Something like:

rsync -v --progress --partial rsync://somemirror/debian/path/debian-image.iso local-debian-image.iso

Len Sorensen