SCAMP, the ugly dog

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 9 15:09:53 UTC 2006

On 5/9/06, marius <anarcap-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 5/8/06, Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > On 5/8/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > <snipped>
>
> > Quote:
> > With the SCO OpenServer 6 application platform you get a suite of open
> > source components that are fully integrated with the ultra-stable UNIX
> > operating system. The same OS that's used by 6 of the top 10 global
> > retailers and that runs more than 12,000 McDonald's restaurants
> > worldwide.
> >
> > Does this mean that McDonald's is running SCO's product(s) or are they
> > running some other kind of UNIX and the above is a BS statement?
>
> "McDonald's Corporation will migrate more than 4,000 stores to run on
> SCO'S OpenServer Release 5 platform over the next two years."
> from http://www.caldera.com/company/success/story.html?ID=9
>
> 12,000... 4,000.... what's 8,000 licences among friends...

This actually begs the question of:
 a) How many stores there are
 b) What they were running before
 c) Whether these are all the stores...

This may have been a migration for company-owned stores, as distinct
from franchiser-owned stores.  This may be a USA migration, with
plenty o stores in other countries as well.

After all, McDonalds has ~31K stores around the world.

A conversion involving 4K stores leaves 27K unaccounted for...  I
would be fully unsurprised for there to be *easily* another 8K
licenses to older versions of SCO kicking around at franchise
operations, and that only accounting for the US...

I'm not saying that SCO aren't mendacious; I'm just saying that this
might not happen to be one of the lies...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.