/etc overload [was Re: Another Fedora gripe ...]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 9 06:39:31 UTC 2006

| From: Paul King <pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>

| I noticed that Fedora 4
| decided to place the entire OpenOffice distribution -- all 250 megs of
| it -- under /etc, of all places. This seems to be new for FC4. You gotta
| wonder about who writes the install scripts...

Not on my almost-current FC4 and FC5 systems.  If it happened, they
fixed it.

What I do find disgusting is the size of /etc/gconf.  ~64M!  I wonder
what crap is in there (I don't knowingly use gconf because I suspect
it of being a horror show; some of the file names within /etc/gconf
suggest XML, another horror show).

The next biggest subdirectory of /etc is selinux: 20M on my FC5
system.  Another thing of which I am extremely suspicious.

Oh well, FC5 seems OK when I ignore these things.