FC5 Pukes on my machine

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 9 05:06:21 UTC 2006

On 5/7/06, Paul King <pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Now that Fedora Core 5 is no longer a "testing" suite, I decided to
> attempt an upgrade of my system, and found after a couple of attempts
> that its python-based Anaconda script dies just after making a list of
> packages to upgrade on my current system (FC3). The docs said that it
> was supposed to auto-detect the installation (which it did), and then
> upgrade if I select "upgrade" (which I did). The error message tells me
> that the error is likely due to a bug.

FC3 to FC5 is big jump, If you have installed a lot of extra
applications on top of FC3,  it's not a surprise that you are having
some problems. You may need to remove some applications to get the
install to work. The removal shouldn't remove your configuration files
but I wouldn't bet on it as there are lot of bad rpm packages in
existence. (To Fedora's credit most of the bad apples won't be from
them but 3rd parties.)

Most of the time when I update from one FC version to another I use
yum. I update yum first, then update the other packages. I remove
trouble packages if necessary and make notes so I can re-install them.

I have run lot of packages from test and devel. Most problems with
updating are frustrating but can be resolved.

Also remember that Fedora is still, for all intents and purposes, a
beta version even in release. It's a testing ground for packages that
will later move into RedHat EL If you aren't prepared to be a beta
tester than I would recommend using EL, CentOS or Debian Stable.

--
Mark Lane, CET <lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>