Census 2006

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 9 00:14:07 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Tom Watts wrote:
>

>> I agree that something needs to be said/done.  However, I'd bet that
>> most of the people on this list have day jobs and are pretty busy
>> people so it may be difficult to coax them away for some time.
>> Perhaps a petition or simply encouraging people to voice their
>> complaints would be sufficient?
>

> CLUE is going to try some strategy in Ottawa, we're just not sure yet
> what's the best approach. Anyone who's interested in getting involved in
> an organized attempt to voice this issue is invited to get in touch.

Not totally Ottawa oriented but... CBC had an interview on As it Happens tonight
that will interest anyone following this thread. The interview was with the
fellow who started up www.countmeout.ca. He raised a few concerns about Lockheed
Martin's involvement in the census and claimed that building a tojan into their
software, while sounding like science-fiction, would be quite plausible.

Of interest to us here on this list is the obvious open source development
alternative, of which Mr. Don Rogers seems blissfully unaware of (haven't
visited his site, but he doesn't mention it in the interview). Also, Mr. Rogers
does not mention the issue with Firefox users not being able to access the site.

What I propose then, is that everyone who reads this message have a listen to
the interview conveniently located here thanks to an anonymous friend of mine:
http://www.filespoint.com/point/4118728/As_it_happens.ogg.html

Then we should all call the talkback line at 416-205-3311 and raise the issue.
As a national radio program heard everyday at the same time and with sections
devoted to listener input (selected recorded calls that is), the chances of
getting heard nationally if we can all call in and saturate the voicemail are
very good. They tend to take the issue from the previous night's show that
garnered the most calls and devote a few minutes to it, sort of as a
recap/debriefing.

I've already called. Please, if anyone reads this, have a listen and give what
could be a national listening audience your $0.02.

Jamon