FC5 Pukes on my machine

Jason Spiro jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 8 20:34:54 UTC 2006

On 5/8/06, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> about 18 months ago I discovered
> Ubuntu, and I highly recommend it.  It combines the power and
> manageability of Debian with the user-friendliness Debian has always
> so desperately needed.

Debian has gotten far more user-friendly over the past few years. I
use Debian Etch. The Sarge installer autodetected all my Dell Inspiron
1100 low-end laptop's hardware fine. And with the Etch 2.6.15 kernel,
power management now works perfectly - after I installed the
linux-image-2.6-686 package and enabled "suspend to RAM on close lid"
in KDE, it Just Worked(tm).

The secret to installing Debian is to set DEBCONF_PRIORITY=critical
*before* you install. This makes intelligent choices for all of the
dozens of questions that the installer otherwise would ask you.

Except for the exim4 local vs. smarthost vs. no-configuration
question. I filed a bug on that one and it's still not been changed
after a year. :)