'eth3' as default?

Alain Rochon alain_rochon-C2V98wQY+d4 at public.gmane.org
Mon May 8 17:20:51 UTC 2006

SUSE stores its networking configuration in /etc/sysconfig/network (network
card) and /etc/sysconfig/hardware (pci bus info).  The network card
configuration file named "ifcfg-eth-id-mac-address" includes the
pci-bus-address of the card as part of its configuration, and uses this info
to link back to the hardware configuration file to apply permanent settings
to the card.  "eth0", or "eth3" in this case, is a symbolic name that
doesn't appear to be recorded anywhere.  The card "should" maintain its
correct configuration even though the symbolic name may change.

Alain