FC5 Pukes on my machine

Tom Watts wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 8 15:12:33 UTC 2006

Paul King wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 01:34 -0400, bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote:
>
>> Have you tried upgrading to FC4 (if that is possible) first? Maybe it
>> needs a single-step incremental dist-upgrade.
>>
>> -Steve.
>
> Just did it -- and no, the error is still the same. The error says that
> it is most likely a bug with their script, and it wanted me to save the
> error and send it off to RedHat. However, the dialog provided no way to
> save the error. And you couldn't select the text and dump it in an
> application. I think soon I will be moving to Debian anyway. It seems as
> though (and I hadn't noticed until now) RedHat now wants me to purchase
> "entitlements" if I want updates to the OS.
>
> And yes, I know that Fedora is supposed to be free, but that is what the
> website says, and there seems to be no portal to allow Fedora updates;
> in fact there is not much mention of Fedora at all. I get the feeling
> now that Fedora has now become a one-time download of an experimental
> and possibly broken set of RPMs, and if you want bug fixes and the like,
> then you have to purchase "entitlements" from RedHat.
>
> Paul King

Fedora has been my distro of choice since their beginning and have never
paid a cent for it or any updates.  Therefore, I'm a little confused
when you mentioned purchasing "entitlements" for updates to Fedora.
Which website are you looking at, www.redhat.com or fedora.redhat.com?
Anyway, I'm just curious about whether there is some sort of fee I'm
going to be have to paying soon.

Thanks,

Tom Watts
wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org