Census 2006

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon May 8 14:54:56 UTC 2006

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On 5/3/06, J. Schaap <jschaap-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I tried to complete the censes2006 form online and I was refused entry.
> > I get this message: "Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements
> > to access this site". I'm using the latest FF and java. Same with
> > Konqeror. Are they blocking Linux?
> > Perhaps I'm missing something. Any thoughts?
> > I called the help line and was told to use the paper form.
>
> What seems even more dumb about this is that the application is one
> that IN NO WAY requires "sophisticated" components such as client-side
> Java.
>
> I imagine I only got the short form (it asks little more than name,
> date of birth, and "mother tongue"), which represents a simple sort of
> CGI that could be done without any "minimum requirements."
>
> I don't think the problem is merely a "blocking Linux" one; it would
> appear that they are making generally incompetent technology choices.

Given the close ties between Bell and Microsoft, this could be a deliberate
embrace and extend strategy, i.e. not mere incompetence. If Linux users
cannot access govt. services, many casual Linux users may find it more
convenient to switch back to Windows.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada