Another Fedora gripe ...

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 8 14:37:20 UTC 2006

Bill Traynor wrote:

> FC4 puts Ooo in /etc to to enable use by all system users. This is so
> third party tools like testtool can locate the install.  A single
> user  install will put it in /home of said user.

IIRC, this seriously breaks LSB specs, which say that /etc is to be
reserved for system wide configuration info. Putting OOo in /etc may
break (or severely impact) a number of otherwise-sensible backup and
partitioning strategies that rely on LSB conventions.

The usual (and I believe LSB-mandated) practise for applications is to
use /usr/bin and /usr/lib for applications considered to be "part of the
system", and in either /usr/local or /opt if not. While one may debate
whether an office suite is "part of the system", neither of these
choices call for binaries to go in /etc.

If something like testtool can't find OOo in /opt or /usr/local (or even
/usr/lib and /usr/bin), I wouldn't consider it a very valuable tool.
That's no excuse at all for putting all of OOo in /etc.

- Evan