http://opensourceparking.com/

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 7 22:21:42 UTC 2006

On 5/7/06, PW Armstrong <pwa.linux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> have I been asleep at the switch?  (I know that's a dangerous question
> ask, no need to answer)
>
> "Recently, the domain name registrar GoDaddy, used by many domain
> resellers, switched its domain parking host from Apache to a Microsoft
> server. GoDaddy has 4.5 Million parked domains, and this resulted in a
> 5% market-share shift from Apache to Microsoft IIS in the Netcraft
> report. Parked sites don't have content, so this is only an "appearance"
> change. It's said that Microsoft offers the largest domain registrars a
> lot of money to do this. And of course figures influence managers,
> whether they are real or not."
> http://technocrat.net/d/2006/4/10/2276
>
> can anyone shed any more light on what's happening here?

If Microsoft threw a few million$ in GoDaddy'$ direction for this, it
wouldn't be an outrageous cost for either for this.

It's a not overly expensive way for Microsoft to put a thumb on the
scale for some Internet statistics.

Is it fundamentally important?  These are parked domains; they are
hardly of great importance on the Internet, so the answer is "probably
not."

It is a cheap way to buy a bit of (perhaps vacuous) prestige...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.