Census 2006

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat May 6 16:45:42 UTC 2006

"J. Schaap" <jschaap-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Bruce Byfield has an article about
> "Canadian online census discriminates against FOSS"
> in NewsForge
> http://trends.newsforge.com/trends/06/05/04/233250.shtml

Perhaps this is an opportunity to raise awareness of these issues. We could
organize a protest. On May 16 (Census day), instead of dutifully returning
our Census forms we could gather outside a federal government office in
Toronto (or offices across the country) and toss our census forms into a
large blue box.

Given that it's an offence under the Statistics Act to refuse to take part in
the Census (punishable by a $500 fine or up to 3 months imprisonment), I
suggest this be a symbolic protest only. Throw out the envelopes only or fill
in the Census on-line (using that other OS) and throw out the whole thing.

To get any publicity, we would probably have to organize at least a couple of
hundred people. Anyone interested? Can we do this in time?

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada