Question about "export DISPLAY"

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri May 5 18:57:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 12:15:19AM -0400, bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I'm trying to install IBM DB2 (I got the CD at LinuxWorld), and I'm
> stuck on the following:
>
> "You must have X/Windows software capable of rendering a graphical
> user interface for First Steps to run on your computer. Ensure that
> you have properly exported your display. For example, export
> DISPLAY=9.26.163.144:0"
>
> # export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
>
> # ./db2exc_LNX_26x86/db2setup
>
> DBI1190I db2setup is preparing the DB2 Setup wizard which will
>          guide you through the program setup process. Please
>          wait.
>
> The DISPLAY variable is not set properly.  Ensure that the DISPLAY
> variable is set properly and that permissions are set properly to open
> windows on the display specified, then rerun the command.
>
> ...Is 127.0.0.1:0 correct for me to use? I obviously want it to use
> the same machine. Is there some other things I need to do?
>
> Thanks for any help... I am not familiar with the export DISPLAY command...
> :-)

Usually setting DISPLAY manually is unnecesary.  If you want to switch
to root and have X still, I prefer to do: ssh -X root at localhost

There are also things like gtksu and such which allow you to su to root
and retain X access.  Otherwise you can set DISPLAY manually along with
pointing XAUTHORITY to the .Xauthority of the home dir of the user
logged into X.

Len Sorensen