oh, man... WAS: Re:is my power supply failing?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri May 5 18:52:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 08:09:40AM +0300, Peter wrote:
> On the other hand, it shows that the best motherboad brands do not have
> a limit below which they will not stoop. The reason they all bought
> those caps was, of course, low, low price. The difference between them
> and 'good' caps must have been a few pennies. Surely something must have
> been strange to the procurers at the time.
>
> Too cheap to be true ? And yet, someone saved a nickel to lose a dollar
> ... many of the failed boards were mid to high range level and the price
> of the caps was a really minor part of their sales price. Nor is this a
> new or surprising development in the world of counterfeit electronic
> parts, so the excuse of an 'unexpected development' that 'took procurers
> by surprise' does not stand up. Draw your own conclusions.

Of course most board makers probably buy their parts through various
distributers who may deal with multiple sources.  Who knows how many
places a part goes through before it is used.  They may not even have
known who made the parts they were using, they just knew they had the
right specs, and the price was right.  Maybe the distributer just made
good money on them.

Len Sorensen