oh, man... WAS: Re:is my power supply failing?

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 5 05:09:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Madison Kelly wrote:

> With long-reaching, high-level consequences... IBM, Intel and many other
> tier-1 brands and companies got burned over one SOB looking for a cheap buck.
> I bet the guys who kept the real recipe were laughing themselves to sleep
> each night knowing what was coming. Stuff movies are made of, frankly.

On the other hand, it shows that the best motherboad brands do not have
a limit below which they will not stoop. The reason they all bought
those caps was, of course, low, low price. The difference between them
and 'good' caps must have been a few pennies. Surely something must have
been strange to the procurers at the time.

Too cheap to be true ? And yet, someone saved a nickel to lose a dollar
... many of the failed boards were mid to high range level and the price
of the caps was a really minor part of their sales price. Nor is this a
new or surprising development in the world of counterfeit electronic
parts, so the excuse of an 'unexpected development' that 'took procurers
by surprise' does not stand up. Draw your own conclusions.

Peter