Question about "export DISPLAY"

bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 5 04:15:19 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to install IBM DB2 (I got the CD at LinuxWorld), and I'm
stuck on the following:

"You must have X/Windows software capable of rendering a graphical
user interface for First Steps to run on your computer. Ensure that
you have properly exported your display. For example, export
DISPLAY=9.26.163.144:0"

# export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0

# ./db2exc_LNX_26x86/db2setup

DBI1190I db2setup is preparing the DB2 Setup wizard which will
          guide you through the program setup process. Please
          wait.

The DISPLAY variable is not set properly.  Ensure that the DISPLAY
variable is set properly and that permissions are set properly to open
windows on the display specified, then rerun the command.

...Is 127.0.0.1:0 correct for me to use? I obviously want it to use
the same machine. Is there some other things I need to do?

Thanks for any help... I am not familiar with the export DISPLAY command... :-)

-Steve.