oh, man... WAS: Re:is my power supply failing?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 5 02:27:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 02:27:04PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:

> I would now suspect that there are bubbling capacitors on your mainboard
> (it's a common problem these days). Look at some of the bigger capacitors
> and see if their tops are flat our round/bubbled (often you will see a
> little yellowish hardened 'goop' on the tops, too). If so, you need a new
> mainboard. If this is the case, it would very much explain the fluctuating
> voltages, too, as the caps are meant to help stabalize the voltages during
> fluctuations.

nicely done!  in fact this is precisely my situation.  nice detecting -
though sorry ot hear it.  My box did start up again (had to chill out I
guess) so if necessary I will use it a bit in this crippled condition.
nonetheless am now in the parket for a new Socket A motherboard with AGP --
anyone got one lying around?  they don't seem to have them in stores
anymore.

ah well.

thanks so much, that was a huge help.

matt

Matt Price	    matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094