is my power supply failing?

linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 4 15:32:58 UTC 2006

> At the risk of taking this thread off topic, do you have any links that
> describe or explain these in/efficencies?  I've been doing an energy
> audit of my house and thinking about things like power conversion
> factors (ie VA != Watts), and with ummm, many, computers in my house the
> question of PS efficiency is reasonably important.  Not to mention the
> surprisingly high constant load of UPSs.
>
> Thanks,
> Oliver

I will look tonight, *but*, efficiency is not a common. In fact,
efficiency and voltage stability are what separate good PSUs from cheap
one, *not* wattage as most people think. So, to get an accurate
efficiency/load rating you will need to look at each specific PSU and then
hope that the company recorded their efficiency curve somewhere public.

There have been a few really great PSU comparisons done now and then and I
know I bookmarked the ones I saw but I'd have to dig them out of my
mountain of bookmarks, which I'll do when I get home. In the meantime, try
googling for PSU comparison pages and ignore any that don't use proper
testing equipment.

Madison