is my power supply failing?

Oliver Meyn lists-tZhE6lH4Esk+k03BA+Hq9g at public.gmane.org
Thu May 4 14:21:27 UTC 2006

Hi All,

> If you do need to replace your PSU, one of my all-time favourites for rock
> steady voltage rails is the Antec TruePower (TP) line. Remember though,
> don't get the highest wattage you can afford! PSUs are most efficient at a
> percentage of their maximum load (generally around 75% of their max). So
> if you're drawing around 250w, a 330/350w(ish) PSU will be best for your
> hydro bill. :p

At the risk of taking this thread off topic, do you have any links that
describe or explain these in/efficencies?  I've been doing an energy
audit of my house and thinking about things like power conversion
factors (ie VA != Watts), and with ummm, many, computers in my house the
question of PS efficiency is reasonably important.  Not to mention the
surprisingly high constant load of UPSs.

Thanks,
Oliver