Script / sort question; sort on last field of a line?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 4 13:26:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 01:45:32AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   How do I sort on the last (or 2nd last or whatever) field of a line?
>
>   One awkward possibility involves rewriting the lines backwards,
> sorting on what is now the first field, and rewriting the lines
> backwards a second time.  I'm not aware of a utility to do write lines
> backwards.  I am *NOT* thinking of "tac" which writes the lines
> unaltered but reverses their order.  I want to write *EACH INDIVIDUAL
> LINE* backwards.  The following script does what I want...

man rev

:)

On the other hand a perl script reading the whole thing into an array of
one line per array entry and then doing a sort with a custom compare
function that looks at the second last character/word/whatever on the
array and then printing the result out might the be most efficient.

Len Sorensen