AMD 64bit-powered Network performance

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 3 18:05:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:42:32PM -0400, Dave Stubbs wrote:
> With lspci, the NIC shows up as:
>
> Intel Corporation 82541GI/PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
>
> There are a lot of 8111 devices, but this one doesn't seem to be part of
> that.
>
> Quite possible that it is PCIe though, although none of the slots on
> this board are.

No it probably isn't PCIe since I don't think the 8111 does PCIe at all.
For that matter the 8111 might only do 100Mbit rather than Gbit itself,
which could explain the intel part.  It is probably PCI, although it is
probably 66MHz and likely even 64bit to help the performance and avoid
eating all of the pci bus bandwidth.

Len Sorensen