Format vfat in Linux so Win2k can read it

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 2 02:07:07 UTC 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 16:50, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 12:50:02PM -0400, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> > Format it as fat32
>
> FAT16 can't go past 4GB (on NT) or 2GB (on Win9x).  So it would be FAT32.
>
> I don't remember if Win2k got support for larger FAT32 in a service
> pack, or if it simply doesn't support it.  XP should support it, but
> still can't format them itself (for stupid reasons only microsoft can
> explain).

You could try the gparted live cd.
http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gparted/gparted-livecd-0.2.4-3.iso

It works extremely well. I have used it for that very same purpose on
occasion.

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca
On-Site Computer Services - Available 24/7

Earn your service for FREE! Ask about our referral program.