EM64T and linux

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Mon May 1 23:39:53 UTC 2006

Joseph Kubik wrote:
> On Friday 28 April 2006 16:57, Andrew Hammond wrote:
>
>>HP sells a solid quad Opteron box, and if you don't require quad, the
>>list grows from there. But, as I said before, if you don't _need_ 64
>>bit, why bother?
>>

> I have some personal reservations about some of the Quad AMD HP servers. If
> you are evaluating servers, I'd be happy to comment offline or in person.
>
> I have seen far less problem with the IBM AMD based systems.

Interesting.  We have a number of HP DL 585s, the only issue I recall was
kernel oopses when running 32bit code on 64bit SLES 9 - SuSE has patched
that race condition in the meantime and the machines are very solid now.

We haven't considered IBM's AMD boxes much (nor would I my experiences with
their Xeons), do they have quad opteron?