The Stallman signature tax

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 1 15:11:39 UTC 2006

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/04/28/1648203

> I dunno if I'd pay $10 for an Authentic Stallman
> Signature.  Maybe
> since the money goes to the FSF - but based on the
> article it doesn't
> sound like something he particularly enjoys doing.

Well, back in 1989 I saw Stallman give a talk in
Boston, MA, and I felt the man had missed his true
calling, Old Testament prophet. There was Stallman's
way and there was total @#$% EVIL. No gray scale for
that guy...

As for celebraties and charges for autographs, well
let me offer two odd examples. Towards the end of his
life science fiction author Robert A. Heinlein
demanded that anyone wanting his autograph first show
proof that they had recently donated blood or show a
letter from their doctor stating the person in
question had a medical condition that prevented them
from donating blood... Robert A. Heinlein is the
reason a few science fiction conventions run blood
donor clinics.

If you ask science fiction autor Harlan Ellison to
autograph a copy of his novel "Doomsman" he will pay
you ... after he has torn the book up. Normally Harlan
Ellison's books range from good to excellent, but
"Doomsman" (which yes, I have 2 copies of and have
read), one of his earliest works, STINKS, and if I
were him I would want all copies destroyed :-) .

Colin McGregor