VNC fails to start

Tom Watts wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 1 15:00:26 UTC 2006

Jason Spiro wrote:
> On 4/27/06, wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org <wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the advice, but it turned out to be a misconfigured router;
>> two
>> machines with the same IP...dumb.
>
> Hmmm... if I recall correctly, I once saw a Windows XP machine in my
> old school library show a strange balloon notification. it had the
> same IP as another machine, and it had automatically switched its IP
> to 169.254.something.somethingelse (which IIRC is in the unconfigured
> IP address space).
>
> Now you've made me curious about a few things: :-)
>
> 1. does Windows always notice all IP collisions, or only sometimes?
>
> 2. can the Linux networking stack automatically notice collisions too
> and pop up a dialog box notification via DBUS?
>
> 3. can cheap home routers bought at Future Shop notice
> statically-configured-machine IP address collisions as well and
> display a warning on the web interface's Status screen?
>
> Cheers,
> Jason

I'm not really skilled enough to answer your questions, but I can
provide some info to maybe help you answer them.  The Windows XP machine
was configured to use DHCP while the Linux one was recently configured
to have static IP and I just so happened to give it the same IP dhcp
gave the Windows box.  For the record, none of the Linux, Windows, or
the D-Link router gave any indication of a duplicate IP.  A simple
reboot on the Windows box or a new IP on the Linux machine should have
resolved the problem.

Anyway, colour me ignorant on this one; lesson learned.

Tom Watts
wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org