slowwness at boot (hours)

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 31 16:50:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 10:24 -0500, Marc Lijour wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have an issue with my RAID1 system. I use Mandriva 2006 on x86_64.
>
> First the system hangs while running fsck on one partition. I solved this by
> booting on a live cd and running fsck from there. I ran fsck -y /dev/sd{a,b}
> 5.

Using a Journalled file systems like ext3 will alleviate an extended
fsck in the event of a hard shutdown.

> From the live cd, I also ran mdadm --examine <drives> and it tells me the
> drives are in sync.
>
> Now, I reboot from the hard drive and I get one array which is missing a
> drive. But worse, the boot process is extremely slow (it can take hours to
> fire one daemon). I have also a couple of bad looking reports such
> as /dev/tty0 does not exist, and some other config files missing. Would you
> know what is causing this? Is the data corrupted? Can I get it back?

Check your DNS. If a service is reliant on DNS it can take some time to
come up, however I would expected minutes per daemon, not an hour.

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.

Chief Technology Officer