YUM Error

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 31 01:40:29 UTC 2006

Hi all;

I have a PC I am setting up with FC4 for my son. Initially, I installed
RH7.3 (what a great distro). I had yum working and updated/installed a
few packages.

Then I upgraded to FC4. After the upgrade, I did a 'yum update' and a
huge number of packages were updated successfully, although I initially
had to get rid of a few packages (probably left over from RH7.3) because
of incompatibilties. All in all, yum successfuly downloaded and updated
over 600M of packages.

The next time I did a 'yum update', I got the following: "Error: Cannot
find a valid baseurl for repo: updates-released" (or extras or anything
else)

I have spent hours trying different things, including re-installing yum.
I got lots of hits on google, but nothing I was able to use. Most tips
dealt with changing proxies (I don't use a proxy) or fixing the DNS set
up (it appears to be working when I ping a web site or use the command
'host <www.whatever>').

I presently have another FC4 machine with the very same version of yum
and it works fine, so it shouldn't be the yum version that's the
problem. It seems that the problem might be the network, but I don't
know what.

Any ideas? If I can't get it fixed, it means re-installing FC4 from
scratch, then dumping it for another distro if it happens again.

Thanks,

John.