Starting X remotely to start a vnc connection

wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 29 17:48:50 UTC 2006

Quoting Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>:

> wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > Quoting Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>:

> >> Like,
> >> Try /etc/init.d/gdm start. Substitute kdm/xdm depending on which you
> >> have installed.
> >>
> >> Jamon
> >
> > It seems I don't have an /etc/init.d/gdm (or kdm or xdm).  I do have an
> > /etc/pam.d/gdm, but when I pass it start, I get permission denied, for both
> > regular user and root.  Any more thoughts?
>
> I could have sworn that Fedora Core 5 uses /etc/init.d. Take a look in
> the /etc/rc directories for an file like S99kdm (xx being a number
> between 1-99). For example, in /etc/rc5.0/ I have the file S99kdm --
> yours could be /etc/rc5.0/Sxxgdm/kdm/xdm (the xx being a number between
> 1-99). Perhaps switching to runlevel 5 with "init 5" from your ssh will
> bring up X as well. You do have kdm or gdm installed?

Doing a quick find for files with *gdm* under /etc returns:

/etc/security/console.apps/gdmsetup
/etc/gdm
/etc/pam.d/gdm
/etc/pam.d/gdmsetup
/etc/pam.d/gdm-autologin

There are no files with kdm or xdm in it.  gdm in installed, according to yum.

Thanks,

Tom Watts
wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org