Starting X remotely to start a vnc connection

wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 29 16:29:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

Here's the situation: I have a remote machine running Fedora Core 5 that I can
access and login to with ssh (putty). I want to get a vnc connection to this
machine with a desktop running. In ssh, I can try to start an x-server, but I
get the following error repeatedly, about every two seconds:

** (nm-applet:2527): WARNING **: <WARNING>       nma_dbus_init ():
nma_dbus_init() could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service()
says: 'Connection ":1.11" is not allowed to own the service
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the
configuration file'

Now, while that's happening, I can start a vncserver, connect to it and view my
desktop with nothing running.  Launching any application fails (no output since
it's graphical).

After killing the startx process via my ssh session, these messages are printed:

The application 'gnome-panel' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'nautilus' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'nm-applet' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

waiting for X server to shut down Window manager warning: The application
'eggcups' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
Lost connection to the display ':0.0';
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the window manager.

xinit:  unexpected signal 15.

My ultimate goal here is to get a normal vnc connection.  Normally, I log in to
the machine while I'm sitting at it, but that's not the case today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Watts
wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org