accounts software

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 27 16:54:08 UTC 2006

On 3/27/06, Paul Sutton <zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Has anyone tried GNUCash for accounting software,  I mentioned this as a
> accounts package.

There is a scaling challenge with GnuCash, as well as an auditing challenge.

1.  If you have a lot of transactions, the register widgets will have
a tough time coping with this.

I'd prefer that it had a full scale DBMS on the backend (e.g. -
PostgreSQL); adding that wouldn't fix this bottleneck.

2.  It has a similar "you can change old data" disease to Quicken.
Auditors don't like the way you can change elderly transactions, that
the system doesn't require you to create adjusting entries rather than
modifying the old data.

I'd not be real keen on using it for a business of "interesting size"
due to these two things...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)