Intuit Software (Quickbooks etc) under Linux?

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 27 16:32:44 UTC 2006

> Len Sorensen wrote:
> I for one intend to do my taxes with paper, a calculator and a pen and
> pencil.  I might try that spreadsheet someone posted a link to a little
> while ago.  It is really simple, and doesn't take very long.

It's quite feasible to do personal income taxes by hand. Corporate taxes
are a different story. The forms themselves aren't that long, but they are
complicated. The guides tell the story - they are over a hundred pages in
length. You *can* do corporate taxes by hand and many people do it, but
it's not simple.

Intuit have a corporation tax program that could help with this and
apparently it interfaces with Quickbooks. Other accounting alternatives do
not so far as I know have a corporation tax program. It would be nice to
see Linux versions of these programs, but I'm not hopeful for the near
future. Linux must have a much larger percentage of office and small
business systems for a company like Intuit to produce a Linux version of
their software.

Incidentally, for anyone starting a business: the requirement for filing a
Federal and Provincial corporation tax form, plus maintaining the
necessary accounts, is one reason to avoid forming a corporation. It's
much simpler to operate as a sole proprietorship if you can. (There are
some other reasons to form a corporation - limited liability may be an
issue.)

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto