Intuit Software (Quickbooks etc) under Linux?

wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 27 15:31:54 UTC 2006

Quoting "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>:

> | From: phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
>
> | What is the incentive for running XP?
>
> Well I don't run it often at all.  On the machine on which I'm typing
> this, I've used it to:
>
> 1) update the BIOS (in the vain hope of fixing an APIC setup problem)
>
> 2) try to reverse engineer the driver for a peripheral not yet
>    unsupported on LINUX.  (Attempt currently suspended.)
>
> 3) update Windows.  (Talk about self-justification.)
>

> | Why not simply run Win 2000 or 98?
>
> Oh, that's what you meant :-)
>
> WinXP is what I have a licence for.  I certainly don't want to buy
> another MS Windows licence, of any version.  As a general rule, I
> don't violate copyright.
>
> I don't want two copies of MS Windows on my machine.  I already
> have a WinXP partition.  So I'd like to use this partition and its
> contents as the resource base for emulation.  I'd like to share data
> files between the native and emulated MS Windows instances.
>
> Another (admittedly theoretical) reason to choose WinXP over older
> version is that more new software assumes WinXP.
>
> Under an emulator, Win2000 or Win98 would probably work.  Neither is
> supported on the actual hardware of my machines.
>
> That ought to be enough reasons :-)
>
> Having said all that, I don't really care very much to run MS Windows on a
> virtual machine.  If someone else figures it out, and it easy, I might
> try it.  (One reason is to allow us to run quickbooks under Linux.)

This probably won't solve your problems, but an alternative to using Quickbooks
is 2ndSite (www.secondsite.biz).  This is a Toronto based start-up that offers
web-based invoicing so there's no worry about running Windows.  It's pretty
good if you have a set of recurring clients, but not so good for one time
customers.  A lot of their users migrate from Quickbooks and even offer some
importing features.  It might be worth checking out, great customer support
too.

Just a thought.

Tom Watts
wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org