Please stop spamming this list with Microsoft related messages

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 27 02:24:52 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 07:32:44PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote
> So what are we going to do to capitalise on the fact that Micro$oft's
> latest offering is late. ?

  Nothing really.  I think it may be a deliberate, and very smart, move
on Microsoft's part.  As time goes on, the "base model" PC gets more and
more bells and whistles as part of the base package.  Today's base
models will run Vista in "classic" mode, which might get people to ask
"Why bother upgrading?".  For instance, look at http://www.dell.ca for
home and small office desktops.

  The Dimension 3100 starts at $649.  It comes with 256 megs of ram and
integrated video.  To get to an "optimal" 2 gigs of ram, you're looking
at an extra $350.  A DRM-compliant video card (are they even available
yet???) would be extra on top of that.  So a base model "Vista machine"
will cost 60% to 70% more than a linux machine.  My 1999 Dell, with 128
megs of ram and a 450 mhz PIII is now my emergency backup machine.
Except for internet TV, and working on 2560x1920 digital photos in Gimp,
it's perfectly capable of handling everything else.  The Dimension 3100
with 2.8ghz P4 and 256 megs of ram would be great for everything except
really heavy duty stuff.  At http://www.pcused.com a 700 mhz PIII Dell
with 128 megs of ram is $149, minus $20 if you ask for no OS.

  Getting back to Microsoft's delay, the first big Vista blitz will be
in the fall of 2007 back-to-school sales.  I think they'll be pressuring
all their OEM customers to make 2 gigs and DRM-compliant video part of
the base model by the summer of 2007.  This way, there won't be a gaping
price disparity between "Windows machines" and "linux machines".  Think
of it as yet another "Windows Tax".

  I think that when Vista is released, the "$100 computer" will finally
happen.  It'll be a Windows computer being dumped by someone upgrading
to Vista.  Think of all the shiney almost-new toys we'll be able to buy
at bargain-basement prices.  It'll be like Christmas for linux users.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca