Please stop spamming this list with Microsoft related messages

Dominic Bonfiglio dominicbonfiglio-Mmb7MZpHnFY at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 26 02:33:37 UTC 2006

Christopher Browne wrote:
>  There is, of course, another rather more inclusive definition of
> Linux.  This is that of the notion of "Linux distributions," which
> consist of the Linux kernel as well as a boatload of other software,
> of widely varying interest, under widely varying licenses.  In order
> to distinguish FreeBSD from Linux, we really need to head back to the
> "strict constructivist" definition, where Linux is the kernel, not the
> assembly of parts under other names/licenses.
>
> Unfortunately, once you head down the road of being interested in,
> say, OpenOffice.org, it is very easy for anything *forcibly*
> identifiable with Linux to be forgotten.
> --

nice post. i know that most of my questions for TLUG  have had to do
with distros and open source software configurations, which strictly
speaking, as Christopher points out, have nothing to do with the linux
kernel. do other subscribers think that such questions are inappropriate
for this list? if so, i am happy to direct such questions elsewhere and
would be grateful for good alternative lists and forums.

thanks,
dominic