Intuit Software (Quickbooks etc) under Linux?

J. Schaap jschaap-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 25 03:39:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 14:01 -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> J. Schaap wrote:
>
> > The new Win4Lin is based on qemu. It runs 2000, XP. I'm using the
> > unstable version of kqemu and qemu cvs. XP is a lot faster with the
> > unstable kqemu than with kqemu stable version. Perhaps a 300% increase
> > in speed.
>
> Interesting timing, I just got some spam for win4lin today, they say
> "running Windows on Pro is now actually faster than running it native on
> a PC" ... hmmm, I had always assumed it would be slow running under qemu
> but I could be wrong.
>
> Are you using win4lin or just qemu, are things performing well after
> 300% increase or still too slow?
>
> I just bought a new PC and it came with XP Home so I'm toying with the
> idea of putting XP into a VM rather than leaving it on it's own
> dedicated partition.

I'm using qemu cvs with kqemu-1.3.0pre3 unstable. Can only be used with
cvs.
Kqemu-0.72 is too slow.
Not scientific but timed from mouse click or enter until XP sound starts.

XP Loading time:
20 seconds against more than a minute.

Firefox loading time:
3 seconds against 50 seconds.

Programs seem to run normal except, (I have a user and administrator mode)
switching from user to administrator the system becomes useless.
Best thing is to reboot to administrator or user. No problems then.
I'm using Mandriva 2006.0 on an AMD Athlon 2000+ and 1.5G of memory.
Qemu is setup to use 384M.
I never used XP (or any other Windows) on my box(es).
Can't judge on that speed difference.
What I've experienced with qemu cvs you could put in on a VM.
I ran XP on VMWare-Player (384M) and it took 40 sec. to load.
Firefox 5 second. Double the time of qemu.
The image I used comes from my Dell notebook while the qemu image was
installed from a XP cd.
Interesting to see in system properties a Dell Inspiron running on
an AMD Athlon 2000+
I never used XP on the notebook. When new booted from a Linux dvd and installed
Mandriva. after I made images from the 3 partitions.