bring up tape drive

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 22 02:26:17 UTC 2006

On 3/21/06, Robert Brockway <rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Phillip Qin wrote:
>
> > Dell tech support told me to unplug the data cable, power down the system
> > and then power up the server, hold eject button. I think it is ridiculous
> > because it is a web server, how can you expect any down time?
>
> Hi Phillip.  Downtime is inevitable.  If you really feel you can't take
> the server down then setup (at least) a cold fail-over right now.  Then
> when you have a cold fail-over, fail-over to it, take the main server down
> and fix the problem.

Downtime doesn't have to  be inevitable if you have enough servers
that you can take some out and still retain services.

But if you only have one server, there you go :-(.

You can't expect 365x24x60x60 unless you have plenty enough servers to
survive having any one or two go down...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)