bring up tape drive

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 21 21:19:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:54:18AM -0500, Phillip Qin wrote:
> Dell tech support told me to unplug the data cable, power down the system
> and then power up the server, hold eject button. I think it is ridiculous
> because it is a web server, how can you expect any down time?
>
> If software solution is not feasible, I might have to bring down the server.
>
> Thx Len,

So schedule some downtime.  Hardware failures do happen.  At least the
drive was nice enough to disconnect and stop doing thigns to avoid any
further damage to itself (assuming a tape jam can cause drive damage).
Some drives might just have held the bus hostage (I guess that might be
why some people don't think tape drives should share a bus with other
scsi devices :)

Len Sorensen