Remote use of XDMCP

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 21 02:18:42 UTC 2006

Fraser Campbell wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> It turns out that I can run X, if I use the X -from option.  However,
>> this means I cannot use the remote login feature of KDE
>
> Excuse me if I'm out to lunch here, only read bits of the thread.  By
> remote login I assume you just mean logging in via xdmcp to get a
> "desktop" ... why not run startkde.
>
> If that's the case I expect like someone (Robert?) said you can use ssh:
>
>   ssh -X somehost -f /usr/bin/startkde # should do it
>
> If that's not what you want (it would likely take over your local
> desktop) perhaps use VNC?

What I'm trying to do, is remote login to the desktop.  If the computers
are on the same local lan, I can easily the remote login feature that's
built into SUSE 10.  If I try to connect via VPN, it's necessary for me
to use the X -query command, with the -from option, as somehow X is
confused by the two interfaces (VPN and hardware NIC).

If I can use the remote login feature, I don't have to log onto the
local computer.  If I use the X command, I do.